May 27, 2015

What we have been up to...

Taylor-

This is Tay's last week in elementary school. As of June 5th she will officially be a Middle Schooler. Yes, I am wigging out about it. She seems too young for that. And I am most definitely too young for that. I was just getting used to having 4 kids worth of homework and permission slips and field trips and parent teacher conferences-now I have to coax my daughter through the rough world of middle school and 7 different classes, friend drama, school dances, gym class, locker issues and carpool. I'm nervous for her.

In March, Taylor had the opportunity to participate in Biztown. She worked at Merit Medical and was a sales associate. Kendrick and I were able to go as chaperone's and we each had a different company we oversaw-Kendrick oversaw Real Salt Lake and I was over Alphagraphics. It was the most stressful field trip I have ever been on. But I wish that I had had the opportunity to do something like that as a kid. It was mind blowing for me to watch 5th graders hold town hall meetings, be appointed CEO's, balance budgets, organize staff meetings, order supplies, fill out invoices and deposit paychecks. Kids today are smart!





In April, Taylor and Easton were both in a musical. Each of our children got to choose what they wanted to do as an extracurricular activity this Spring and both Tay and Easton wanted to be in a play. Most of the well put together plays around here require you to audition, and since my kids had never done that and really had no stage experience, I opted to put them in a musical that was put on by a drama teacher in our school district and that guaranteed each child a speaking or singing part. If I'm being honest, the 9 weeks worth of practice and the amount of money we shelled out did not seem worth what we got in return. But the kids seemed to really enjoy it... so I guess in the end, that's all that matters. Plus, it was an excuse for miss Tay to wear make-up and for all of us to go out to ice cream on a school night.








Tay also chopped her hair off last week. So far he loves it. I was nervous that she would be mad at me for taking her to get even one inch taken off, but while we were there she ended up deciding on her own to hack off 4 inches. It's now a lot easier for her to manage and comb through and I think she looks darling.



She has also had some fun girls days over the last few months. These two friends, Haleigh and Makelle are really the only two girls she hangs out with outside of school and activity days. Which makes me sad if I think too much about it, I sometimes wish she had a huge group of friends that lived around here. But if I had to handpick two girls for her to hang out with-I'd probably choose these two. Haleigh is a wonderful example to Tay and loves her for her. And Makelle worships the ground that Tay walks on and is teaching Taylor patience.







Tay is in the midst of her first real crush. And it's reciprocated, which is all the more fun for her. There is a cute boy who has been in her class since 3rd grade and is just a little stud. I have met him several times when I've helped at the school and I've talked with his mom-and she's a doll. A few weeks ago Taylor started openly admitting that she has a crush on this boy. I asked her if it was because he recently moved to another city and she doesn't have to worry about him finding out. She told me, "No... it's because I know he likes me too." I asked her how she knew that and she replied, "Because I asked him, and he told me he did." Apparently our daughter had the spunk to walk up to this kid and lay to rest the rumors she had heard about him having a crush on her. So she asked him point blank, "I heard you have a crush on me, is that true?' And when he said he did she just replied, "Cool" and walked away. That kind of confidence must come from her father. A few weeks later that boy sent his beloved home run baseball with his best friend to give to Tay at school. He even signed it for her. She now carries it in her backpack with her every single day. She even took it on vacation this past weekend. I'm posting this so that we can have her first crush documented for posterity. Her future husband will love it!


We sometimes struggle with parenting our lovely Tay. She is challenging and stubborn and strong willed and outspoken. But she is also charming and beautiful and brave and anxious to learn. I'm excited to see what Middle School will have in store for her.


Jack
Sometime between Christmas and Valentine's Day Jack decided to become obsessed with soccer. In my mind, he has always been a baseball kid so that was odd to me. The Spring activity he chose to sign up for was outdoor soccer. So for the past month's worth of Fridays and Saturdays-we have been watching Jack play. He LOVES it. We think he is best at being goalie, but his coach keeps making him play half back. I'm truly fine with watching and cheering my boys on in any sport they chose-as long as they love it and look happy doing it. So far Jack seems to really enjoy soccer.









He also has turned into quite the goofball and is usually requesting that I take pictures of his silliness.



Jack is an amazing student and gets 90 or above on all his tests and assignments. He loves being in scouts and he enjoys playing with his neighborhood buddies-3 of which are his own siblings. Everyone gets along with Jack. He is very likeable and pretty easy going. He is very sensitive and will get his heart broken easily if he thinks someone is mad at him or if he finds out someone lied to him or said something mean about him. I like how forgiving Jack is. He has one little friend who is a pot stirrer and says things to Jack and Jack's other friends just to get under his skin. Jack forgives this boy on a daily basis and sticks up for him whenever he hears other kids being mean about him. I don't know where he gets his forgiving heart from, but I am sure proud of him for it.




Myles
Myles decided to sign up for track. I can't say for sure what made him decide that, I just know that the kid LOVES to run. He joined a pre-conditioning track club that ran from April-May. He will now be having track meets twice a week through July. Last week he raced his team at a mock meet and he smoked everyone. Our boy is fast and is the only person I have ever known who runs with a smile on his face.







We had fun watching Myles' kick everyone's trash- even if we did have to hide under the bleachers during a downpour to do it...


Myles also loves scouts and is kind of a nut about being there on time each week with his book and in his uniform. He had to go once without his uniform because it was in the wash and it just about ruined his life. He is a rule follower and a people pleaser- but in a good way- he just wants to be doing what is right and what is expected of him all the time. He really hates letting people down. Myles is a sweetheart and our most motivated kid-whatever he is asked to do, whatever project he has to complete-he does it to the VERY best of his ability. We love that about him!




Note to self: I need more pictures of just Myles.


Easton
Mr. E bunk is a HAM. At 5 he is a romantic and has proclaimed on more than one occasion that he "just wants someone to have a crush on him..." He begged to be in that musical with Taylor and then cried every single day he knew he had "play practice". He looked freaking adorable on that stage though and after i bribed him with a new video game he sang loudly and sprinted his way across it like it was no big thing.







Easton recently had his Kindergarten program. He did so good memorizing and reciting his nursery rhyme!








Easton is doing really well with his reading and I no longer have to walk him through and babysit him when he does his homework sheets. Everyone who meets this boy gushes over him. And I mean everyone. If by chance, his charms start to fade on someone, he kicks it up a notch and tries to woo them back. We are in trouble with him because he is so used to having everyone in his life wrapped around his finger. Sad will be the day when someone decides he's not all that, and has the cajones to tell him so.

Kendrick
This man is working his butt off! He has done so well with his company. His office has been profitable for over 6 months now and each month since February they keep beating their own record for their "biggest month yet". Him deciding to work out of and market for the Orem office was a gamble but so far it has been paying off. It wasn't that long ago that we were not making any money. It wasn't that long ago that we lost our home and were a one car family and had to scrimp for groceries. I won't ever forget that. And it makes me ever so grateful for how well Kendrick is doing now. Kendrick and I had the opportunity to volunteer with the KW cares project and help build a bike shop at a school for at risk youth. Part of the real estate agents' incentive to raise money for that project was that they could shave Kendrick's head if they met their goal. He had gorgeous hair that he has been growing out for months so it was a sad moment when that last lock of hair was shaved off.













In any event he participates in or helps with-he goes above and beyond. Everyone just loves him. Especially me!!








Me
I am so stinking excited for school to be out. Every year at this time I start to pat myself on the back that I made it through another school year. This one wasn't particularly hard. I am still in denial that my baby is almost in 1st Grade but I actually think that it will be a good thing for me. I plan on getting a part time job to fill my days. I'm hoping to get a job at the school. Fingers crossed.

The last week of school will be my last week babysitting. I have been babysitting off and on since Taylor was a baby. And after a decade of it, I'm finally ready to be done. I am kind of looking forward to working a "real job" again (one that requires more than just sweatpants and a ponytail). When I look back, I can't believe how time has flown. I used to dread this time of my life. Even when I only had one very small child, I dreaded having to work again. Part of me wonders if I am even cut out for working outside the home. I have back to school jitters when I think about it. I'm trying to be courageous and have confidence in the fact that I am a hard worker and fast learner and that I don't HAVE to do this. I feel lucky that our livelihood doesn't depend on me working. I don't know if I've ever mentioned before how blessed I feel that I get to be a stay at home mom. I never considered it an option until I married Kendrick. I am so grateful that it was never a question to him-he has never asked me or pressured me to work. He has done nothing but encourage me and thank me for being a stay at home mom. I don't take that lightly. It has been one of the BIGGEST blessings in my life.

When I am not babysitting, helping at the school or getting all my errands done in one day, I have been going hiking with my sister in law, Tiana. I love hiking. It is my favorite form of outdoor cardio. And Utah is so beautiful-our mountains are just the best form of therapy. I hope Tiana and I can stick with this. I am grateful for the one afternoon a week I have to be outdoors and enjoy some exercise and good conversation.








In August it will be 3 years and our short sale will be cleared. We are hoping to buy a home this fall or winter. Words cannot describe how excited I am. I would love to find a house in this area that we can afford. Remember 3 years ago around this time, when all I wanted was to live ANYWHERE but here? Or was I not vocal about that on this blog? Well, times have changed. Turns out-I love this ward, I love our neighbors, I LOVE our school and I am really diggin' not living in a cookie cutter/everyone knows everyone else's business/keeping up with the Jones' type neighborhood. I feel like I can breathe and be myself in this neighborhood. I don't know what our future holds, but I am excited to see where we end up!