August 22, 2013

First days of school (2013)

Summer flies by. At the beginning of June when school got out I thought to myself, "I have 2 1/2 glorious months ahead of me." Where did those 2 1/2 months go!?! Don't get me wrong, we did a ton of fun stuff this summer and I still feel like there is time to cross things off my summer bucket list. But man, I sure wish summer vacation lasted longer...

We lucked out this year as far as getting ready for school goes. The Grandma's in our life hooked us up by buying all the big kids their new school clothes, underwear and socks. All I had to buy was lunch bags for the boys, a new backpack for Tay and shoes for all the kids. I am so blessed to have people who care about helping our kids get the things they need and who enjoy spoiling them to pieces.

Taylor started school on Monday. She was beyond excited about it all weekend. If she felt any anxiety about starting school at all it didn't show until we walked up to the door she had to line up at. When the anxiety hit her she told me, "I'm so nervous I feel like I have to pee!" It looked like she had a lot of friends from last year in her class but she was too nervous to talk to any of them. She just sort of stood there and smiled. Her Dad embarrassed her right before she walked inside so I felt kind of bad for her and hoped that didn't ruin her morning. Dad's can be clueless sometimes;) It was very hard for me to let Tay take the reigns on her first day of school look this year. SHE picked out her clothes and SHE chose her hair style. I had to bite my tongue. I would probably keep doing her hair and picking out what she wears until she goes to college, if she would let me. Unfortunately I think those days are over and she is now starting to have more and more of an opinion about how she wants to look. No matter how she dresses, she always looks cute...even if she does refuse to wear girly colors or let me curl her hair!

The sign says, First Day of 4th Grade "I want to be a wildlife biologist" August 19, 2013

Interesting outfit choice. Not the look I thought she would go with when she brought home all her back to school clothes...

Tay and I
K and Tay

Tay and Samuel

Walking to school
Looking so cute and not the least bit nervous as she stood in line and waited.
The twins started school on Tuesday. They had a mixture of feelings going on: excitement because now they are big tough 1st graders and they get to play on the big playground and eat lunch at school, but nervousness because it is ALL day school and not a lot of kids from their Kindergarten class ended up in their 1st Grade class. They won't admit it but I think they are excited to get away from me and all the chores I make them do but they also have anxiety over 1st Grade homework. Their teacher seems like a doll. She is young looking and thin and pretty and seems very sweet and patient. I hope the boys do well with her.

The boys also picked out their back to school outfits. I think they did a great job, although it's hard to really mess up boy outfits isn't it? I get a kick out of the fact that they have the same outfits but that they choose to wear them differently and on different days. Having twins is such a hoot!

Myles' sign reads, Fist Day of 1st Grade "I want to be a teacher" August 20, 2013

Jack's sign reads, First Day of 1st Grade, "I want to be a fireman", August 20, 2013

Myles and Jack

The boys and I

The boys and K

Such big kids

Walking to school with Samuel
Waiting in line-first ones there!! I love it.


Waving goodbye. I didn't even cry. It really didn't hit me, or maybe it just wasn't that big of a deal? They fought so much the day before that I was perfectly happy to send them off to school, I was looking forward to some peace and quiet!

Easton started at home Pre School today. I had such a good time and was so successful at teaching the boys Pre School that I decided to do it with Easton too. I can't believe I used to shell out money for Tay to go to Preschool each month! What a waste. We are still on the fence about whether or not Easton will start Kindergarten next year. He will be turning 5 a week before school starts and we don't love the thought of him being the youngest in his class. On the other hand, he is ready and wanting that experience. He wants to learn, he wants to join his siblings at school and he needs to be around other kids his age. But I don't know if he will be mature enough...we'll see what happens.

He has a special Pre School cupboard that we keep his stuff in and we decided to put his workbooks and crayons, scissors and pencils in his backpack so he can feel like one of the big kids. I have a hard time being disciplined with Easton because he is my baby and I just want to cuddle him and let him have his way all the time. So it will be a challenge for me to buckle down and MAKE him work this year. Wish me luck...






We are excited for a new school year and are so hopeful that it will go smoothly. I can't believe I have 3 kids in all day school now...