September 24, 2013

Meet Cha Cha

Remember how I wanted a puppy for my Birthday? Yeah, I didn't get one and I was bummed. And I made sure to let everyone in my life know I was bummed. And most everyone in my life forgot about the fact that I wanted a puppy. More specifically, a little dog that stayed puppy sized forever. Except my friend, Stacie. She remembered that I wanted a puppy and she was all for me getting one. So last Friday she was driving by and came to a screeching halt and backed up to ask me, "How bad do you want a little dog?" To which I replied, "Pretty dang bad. I'm just not willing to shell out big bucks for one, why?" Then she proceeded to tell me about a friend of hers who's baby was just diagnosed with a whole plethora of allergies (wheat, eggs, soy, and fur) and they needed to find a new home for their 7 year old little pug.

I said I'd think about it and she said she'd send me pictures, and I didn't think anything else about it because I once had a roommate that had a pug (Bubba) and that little dog snored so loud I could hear it in the basement and had to sleep with a pillow over my head (and it had to wear a diaper because it had potty training issues-not kidding). So the thought of owning a pug was not something I was even a little bit excited about... until I saw these pictures:


She's a cutie right!?
So I talked to Kendrick about it and we decided that if we took Zoey to meet her, and Zoey approved then we would get her and call her Jack and Myles early Birthday present. They turn 7 on the 30th. We left the kids at a neighbor's house on Saturday and took Zoey up to Bountiful to meet her. She was a funny little thing and we felt bad that such a cute, well behaved, potty trained dog might end up at the pound because her owner's kid was allergic. So we brought her home that day.

We surprised the kids with her and they fell in love with her right away. Honestly, it's a win win situation for us. She was free. She is full grown at just under 20 pounds. And she came with a kennel and a huge bag of food, some dishes, toys. a blanket, a towel, a harness and leash. She's up to date on her shots, fixed, licensed, potty trained, crate trained, likes the car, tolerates baths and is good with kids. I call her our little piggy because she walks around snorting and she has a little pig tail. The ONLY drawback to her is that she has super sensitive skin so she has to take Benadryl nearly every day and she's always scratching herself. Apparently that is a normal thing for pugs and apparently it is next to impossible to overdose a dog on Benadryl.

Her and Zoey mostly ignore each other. Occasionally they will try to taste each others food, but that's about it. They sleep in the same room at night, go potty at the same times and share the same water bowl just fine. When Cha Cha is feeling feisty she might bark at Zoey from across the room, but Zoey knows she can kick Cha Cha's trash so she just looks at us like, "This dog you brought home is an idiot" and then goes about her business.

So far we love her and we feel blessed to have hit the doggie jackpot twice. We now have two of the best behaved dogs around!