September 26, 2013

I am grateful for...ironic timing

My friend Jenn sent me a link via text message today. The link said something about the secret of happiness and I thought it would be a link of...oh, I don't know- attractive men in boxers doing dishes or vacuuming, or puppies licking babies, or a funny video about farting. THAT is where my mind went. But my phone wouldn't let me open the link so I had to wait until I got home and do it on my computer. When I opened the video it became pretty clear what it was going to be about...

Gratitude.

I then thought about Jenn's text that came with the link:




And it made me want to laugh-cry (yes laugh-crying is a real thing, I do it often). I found it ironic that my friend would send me a link "revealing the secret to happiness", and claim that it reminded her of me while I sat in a therapist's waiting room prepared to discuss how unhappy I have been.

I've had a rough few months blog friends. I would say my sadness has been lingering since May. To the point that I sometimes feel like I can't function. I recently learned that my sadness stems from me being codependent. I'm normal and I go through ups and downs like anyone else but this down has felt never ending. I've had some of my darkest hours and loneliest moments these past few weeks. Without going into too many personal details I will just say that I haven't been showing gratitude as often as I should be. I neglect my poor gratitude journal. Which is so silly of me considering that last year at this time I was doing it on a daily basis and was A LOT happier. But I think I have also really slacked on SHOWING gratitude to the people in my life. What can I say? I stopped making gratitude a priority. I won't even begin to blame all my "problems" on just my lack of expressing gratitude, but I will venture a guess that my sadness would probably greatly improve if I got back on the gratitude wagon and started trying harder to do better. So that is my goal. And I challenge all of you to do the same. If things feel particularly hard for you right now or if you are just feeling down and can't figure out why-I challenge you to start keeping a gratitude journal. Focus on the blessings you have, the people you have, the experiences you get to have and the qualities you possess and remind yourself to be grateful for them each day. I am setting a reminder on my phone. Yes, my life has come to this. I am now going to remind myself to show gratitude. But I know it will pay off.

And thank you Jenn! You were inspired to send that link when you did and it inspired me to be better. Thank you so much.

Here is the video she sent me: