August 15, 2015

Easton's Bear Lake Birthday

For Easton's 6th birthday we went to Bear Lake with our neighbors. The only reason we went at that time was because I waited too long to book our camp spot and the only spots still available happened to fall on Easton's Birthday. You would have thought I planned Bear Lake just for him though. He was in heaven to be going on a trip on his birthday. Because we couldn't pack a ton of extra stuff, he had his birthday breakfast and opened his presents before we left.




His wish list items were: a "cool" jacket, aviator sunglasses and Heely's. 
We are always so happy when we first catch that glimpse of that Bear Lake Blue. It's one of our favorite colors...



After we got camp set up and dinner started, Kendrick and I hid some clues and our neighbors buried a treasure box for Easton and the big kids to find. Weeks in advance, Easton chose a Pirate theme for his birthday. I was excited to carry out that theme in the wilderness and I think it turned out great! The night before we left, Kendrick and I were up past midnight drawing a map and coming up with clues that would take the kids throughout the whole campground. I was the visionary on this project and Kendrick carried it out for me. He did SUCH A GOOD JOB! I think my favorite part of the whole trip was the treasure hunt. Tiff pretended to find the first clue in her chair and then that led Easton to look under his pillow-where he found his very own treasure map!! Maybe later I'll get around to posting pics of the map and clues.










The treasure chest had gold (rolos) and jewels (ring pops) in it, along with some eye patches and pirate tattoos.


After the treasure hunt and photo ops, the kids started a lip sync battle while Kendrick and I made dinner. The boys' performances were pretty uneventful, but then Tiff pulled off this performance and it made my whole week. I have probably watched this video a dozen times since we've been home-it just makes me smile.










We did the pinata and cake after dinner. It's amazing that the kids slept at all that night with all the sugar they had coursing through their veins. I, on the other hand was pooped after dinner. Camping is so much harder as a parent. Thank you mom and dad for taking Richard and I camping each year when we were younger-there is definitely a lot of work and planning that goes into it-especially when a party is involved.





Jack broke the pinata stick
Then Kendrick attempted to beat the pinata to death
When he couldn't beat it to death, Tiff stabbed it a few times. Eventually we just used our hands and tore it open.
Stop watching this video after Easton get's his sucker. A certain mom was tired and PMSing pretty badly when this video was taken. I'm so happy we have this for posterity to see...NOT!!!!


These pirate candles inspired the whole pirate theme


The next day was Easton's actual Birthday and we spent it on the beach. He caught a little fish, built a sand fort and wrapped up the day with some pizza and then a shake at Hometown. It was a good day for him I think. So far 6 is my least favorite age for him. He's been pretty emotional, moody and naughty in this first week of 6 year old hood. Hopefully 1st grade will put some sense back into him and we can get our sweet, happy boy back. I'm guessing what ails him is lack of sleep...





Girlfriend can sure rock a dirty rear. How is that comfortable?







This is one very sunburned and sleep deprived, yet happy group
Even though he's been a stinker, this cute kid will always be my baby boy. Maybe I just think he's been being a brat for the past week because he went and turned another year older on me. I have asked him time and time again to please stop growing up and he just won't listen...


We love you Easton Lee!!