November 4, 2014

The twins baptism

I don't know how Mormon baptisms work in other states but until we moved back here I always just assumed that we would get to pick the day our kids got baptized. Sadly, that's not the case. We were given the day after Halloween as the day for the twins baptism. I was less than thrilled with that day because I am not a morning person. Especially on the weekends, and who wants to wake up early the day after Halloween and set up a baptism? If that sounds like your kind of fun, then in my opinion, you are crazy. Sorry.

We got the baptism invites out nice and early and then I basically just procrastinated and waited until the very last minute to make a decision about food for the baptism. We lucked out that we were the only baptism scheduled for our Stake Center that day so the twins had the baptismal font and the primary room all to themselves and we were able to invite as many people as we wanted and set up a table of treats IN the primary room instead of having to organize a luncheon somewhere else. But nothing stresses me out more than buying food for large groups of people. My first choice would have been to skip the food part all together and then have just our immediate family go out to lunch after. But this is Utah and I guess here everyone feels the need to keep up with the Jones' and do what is "expected" of them. I felt like I was "expected" to put food out for people. My choice for food was to do a breakfast: bagels, fruit, juice. You know, the kind of food you'd want to have left over. But Kendrick felt like cookies and brownies would be easier so that is what we did. Because why not fill people up with even more sugar the day after Halloween? I'm sure parents at the baptism LOVED us...not!

The baptism itself was truly special and so fun to be a part of. We love being the parents of twins because everything is new. Everything is a learning experience-baptizing two boys was no different. Kendrick baptized them both. Jack first, then Myles. My dad and brother were the witnesses. Our neighbors and good friends, Dean and Tiffany spoke and one of our favorite sweet older couples in the ward gave the opening and closing prayers. My friend Carissa, did Jack's spotlight and my friend, Erica did Myles' spotlight. Tons of people from the ward showed up and even Jack and Myles' Kindergarten teacher came. They were so excited about that!

I am grateful beyond words to everyone that came. Even Kendrick's uncle and his cousin's family showed up. My uncle Matt drove down all the way from Bountiful, my uncle Mike brought some of his kids before he had to take them to a soccer game. For being the day after Halloween, I was so impressed with everyone that made it there bright and early. Thank you to everyone who sacrificed their morning by coming to support the twins! They felt so loved.

Jack
Myles


My parents and the twins (my cute mom bawled her eyes out the whole time-love you mom!)
The Espnioza's, Dansies and twins
The Winter and Martinez clan
Richard and T with the twins
Our little family